Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Come, Follow Me


“One thing you lack," he said. "Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.” (Mark 10:21)

Jesus’ words here about selling everything raise a storm of static in our minds.  It’s hard to hear what He is saying. We wonder, “How can I live without a place to hang my hat, or a bed to sleep in, or shoes on my feet, or clothes on my back? Must I sell everything?”

Frantically searching for some purpose to Jesus’ command, we might remember His call to Simon and Andrew, James and John, who were all fishermen, “Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men.” (Mark 1:17)  And “at once” they left their fishing nets, boats, their homes and families.  

I remember when God called Alice and me to go to Alaska to plant a new church and to share Jesus’ message with others.  We were on a tight budget, and we were only able to bring along some basic clothes, a medical kit, a few other necessities, and of course my books.  A friend of ours even loaned us a vehicle to drive there.  We had to trim down and travel light to follow this calling.  We had to entrust the care of my aging parents to my sister.  In the process, we gained a much larger family in Alaska.

Wherever we are called, whatever the cost, we must listen to Jesus and share His good news with the lost and hurting.    












No comments:

Post a Comment