Monday, March 16, 2020

We Need More Power in Short-Term Missions!


“For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit.” (Romans 8:5)

What I mean by the title of this post is that we need less of us, and more of the Holy Spirit.  We need to stop thinking that we have all the answers for the developing world, and ask God what He desires.

1) We need to humble ourselves.

2) We need to seek the Lord's face.

3) We need more power.

Our modern humanistic approach to short-term missions has, sadly, resulted in a weak form of ministry that doesn't look much like New Testament Christianity.  We build a house or dig a well, say a prayer, and feel good about ourselves until next summer.

I have a sneaking suspicion that God wants more for us.

God's kingdom is not built on some shrewdly developed business plan (He can use those if He desires), but on the prayers of the saints, and often on the blood of martyrs.  His rule and reign is established supernaturally when we choose to reject the ways of the world and trust completely in Him.

This means for some of us, we need to change the way we think and do missions.  In short, we need to take more risks on mission trips.  We need to be willing to surrender some of our schedule for a Spirit-led ministry.

One year after my amputations, we were ready to return to India.  I had our schedule planned out in detail, as usual.  My wife accuses me of being slightly OCD, but I can be flexible when necessary, honest.  As word began to precede us about the “man with no legs” traveling around India preaching, I started receiving new invitations almost daily.  Some of the requests took us several miles away from our scheduled itinerary.  If we had accepted them all we would have been in India for several more months.  Yet, we felt this was the leading of the Holy Spirit to use my newly strengthened testimony for God’s glory. 

I had many new doors opened to speak among lepers because they felt I could identify with them and their struggle with disease and the loss of limbs.  It turned out to be the most amazing trip we have ever taken to that country, because we remained flexible, willing to listen for God’s still, small voice, and be obedient.  Ultimately, this led to opening a medical clinic in Bangalore and ministering to tribals in the mountains of Odisha, 900 miles apart.  We ended up traveling over 2000 miles on that trip, and we were blessed far beyond what we could imagine.  

In risking, we find faith. And in faith, God is pleased and glorified. Plus, really cool stuff tends to happen.



If you would like a copy of my new book "The Man with No Legs" just send me a check for $25 and your mailing address to:

Russ Sharrock
416 E 18th Ave
Stillwater, OK
74074  

I will send out a signed copy right away.  The cost covers the signed book and shipping + handling.  

You can also pay by credit card.  Just call 405-334-8009.  


"The Man with No Legs" is about how after evading God for decades, despair woke me to my need for Him.  God called me into His service ministering in Alaska and India.  Everything was going great, until one day my world came crashing down, and I lost both of my legs.  This is the story of how God brought me through this crisis and even used it to spread the gospel even further throughout India, and for His glory!



No comments:

Post a Comment