Friday, March 20, 2020

I Keep Hearing Her Knock


"In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: It is more blessed to give than to receive." (Acts 20:35)

Stopped on the crowded streets of Hyderabad, a woman came over to the car and began knocking on my window.  I tried to stare straight ahead as if I didn't see her, only to have my attention grabbed by a great sea of humanity in despair as they were pressing in on one another trying to make their way to some predetermined destination.

Others were motionless, lying on the street.  The more fortunate ones lived under a sheet of plastic. Most were Hindus who follow one or more of the 300 million gods of their religion. Like a magnet my eyes were drawn back to the knocking on my window.  

I didn't know the language of the crying lady, but it wasn't hard to translate her facial expressions.  Her eyes said it all--no hope.  Clutching her hungry child, this poor Indian woman was desperately crying for help, for food, compassion; for someone to care.  For an instant I saw the pain and lostness of all humanity in the face of this one woman.  I was also brought face-to-face with the wickedness of my own heart.

There are times when I hear myself grumbling about trivial things.  For example, while in India I stayed in very modest quarters.  I slept on an air mattress on the floor that had difficulty holding air; constantly fighting mosquitoes that were excitedly looking for an opportunity to feast on my blood; taking cold showers, and using a toilet that was nothing more than a porcelain hole in the ground. Yet, even in these conditions I was greatly blessed and had no reason to complain.

This woman had no bed, no food, no clean water to bathe in or drink, no protection, and no Savior. Even in my worse condition I was rich.  God is not allowing me to forget—I keep hearing her knocking and pleading.  Maybe that mental picture will spur me on to be a more gracious, grateful, and loving person.

Time is short; not much time left to get it right.


Go Here to check out our website.    If you would like to partner with us in spreading the gospel, providing Bibles, or disaster relief in India and Haiti, you can make a donation here: 

Donate



If you would like a copy of my new book "The Man with No Legs" just send me a check for $25 and your mailing address to:
Russ Sharrock
416 E 18th Ave
Stillwater, OK
74074  

I will send out a signed copy right away.  The cost covers the signed book and shipping + handling.  

You can also pay by credit card.  Just call 405-334-8009.  

"The Man with No Legs" is about how after evading God for decades, despair woke me to my need for Him.  God called me into His service ministering in Alaska and India.  Everything was going great, until one day my world came crashing down, and I lost both of my legs.  This is the story of how God brought me through this crisis and even used it to spread the gospel even further throughout India, and for His glory!





No comments:

Post a Comment