Monday, November 25, 2019

How Important Does the Bible Consider Missions


Probably the most important biblical passage among the many Bible verses for missions is the Great Commission found in Matthew 28:19-20 where Jesus commands his followers, “Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

In Bible College, my wife and I had the privilege to go on our first mission trip to Alaska where people lived in log cabins, sometimes hundreds of miles from any town.  I served with a local Christian radio mission.  During my time there I spoke to many people about the emptiness of life in the far north and through my testimony explained how they could have forgiveness and a joy-filled life through a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.  I found it to be one of the most rewarding times in my life.

Several places in the Bible you will find scriptures about missions that mention the blessedness of those who spread the Good News. (See Romans 10:14-15)  It is a necessary part of the plan of salvation, and requires the power of the Holy Spirit to not only first call the missionaries, but to empower them to fulfill that calling.  

In one passage, Jesus declares that when the gospel has been preached throughout the whole world, then the end of the world will come. (See Matthew 24:14)  Sometimes, instead of going ourselves, we may feel moved by the Spirit to provide financial support or assistance to missionaries.

Whatever our involvement, missions are an important part of spreading the good news about Jesus Christ.

Here are some additional scriptures for study:

But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” (Acts 1:8)

Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.” How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them?" (Romans 10:13-14)

Declare his glory among the nations, his marvelous deeds among all peoples.” (1 Chronicles 16:24)

Then I saw another angel flying in midair, and he had the eternal gospel to proclaim to those who live on the earth—to every nation, tribe, language and people.” (Romans 14:6)

Declare his glory among the nations, his marvelous deeds among all peoples.” (Psalms 96:3)

“Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?” And I said, “Here am I. Send me!” (Isaiah 6:8-9)

“He said to them, “Go into the whole world and proclaim the gospel to every creature.” (Mark 16:15)

“…and in His name repentance and forgiveness of sins will be proclaimed to all nations, beginning in Jerusalem.” (Luke 24:47)


If you would like to partner with us in reaching the lost for Christ you only need to click HERE to make a donation.  If you would like to explore our website to see what we do then 
please go HERE. 

Thank you, and God bless you!
 








No comments:

Post a Comment