Tuesday, April 28, 2020

What is Your Mission?


Do you realize that God has a special calling on your life?  He does!  You may not have sensed God leading you to become a missionary or a preacher, but you still have a calling!  And it is a mission that you must not evade.

God had a mission for Jeremiah. Would it be fun?  No!  Would he become famous?  Yes, but not for the reasons most people want to become famous.  God commanded Jeremiah to go to his home country, Israel, and demand they repent and return to God.  Jeremiah knew it would make a lot of people angry. So, he made excuses to God for why he wasn’t the right man for the job.

"Ah, Sovereign LORD," I said, "I do not know how to speak; I am only a child." But the LORD said to me, "Do not say, 'I am only a child.' You must go to everyone I send you to and say whatever I command you. Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you," declares the LORD. Then the LORD reached out his hand and touched my mouth and said to me, "Now, I have put my words in your mouth.” (Jeremiah 1:6-9)

Even though Jeremiah was making excuses as to why he couldn’t serve the Lord, God didn’t give up on Him.  He encouraged him by saying, “I am with you and will rescue you.”  It’s natural for Christians today to do the same thing.  We come up with clever excuses why we can’t follow the mission the Lord has given us to go to the ends of the earth and spread the gospel.  We say to ourselves and God, “I don’t know enough about the Bible. What will they think of me?  I might lose my job! Let somebody else do it."

Fear can motivate or it can hinder.  God immediately saw the fear in Jeremiah’s heart and said, “Do not be afraid of them.”  The Bible teaches that, “The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.” (Proverbs 9:10)  And, “Fear of man will prove to be a snare...” (Proverbs 29:25)  Allow faith to overcome your fears, be obedient to God, and He will not let you down.

He has your back!

Has the Lord reached out His hand and touched your mouth?  Without Him doing this, you are powerless to accomplish the mission set before you.  How can we realistically have Him put His words in our mouth?  Study your Bible and hide His Word in your heart!  Take time to have Him talk to you through Bible study and prayer.  As His Spirit dwells in your heart, His Words will reach your mouth and fear will fade.

If you are a follower of Jesus Christ, God has given you a mission in this world.  You’re not here to just take up space; you’re not here to just work toward your own personal goals.  God never calls us to do something for Him that He doesn’t enable us to do, if we are willing to take the time and do the work.  Please, take the time to get to know God.  As your relationship with Him grows, you will move forward to more difficult missions.  Your purpose on earth is to share God’s love to a lost and dying world.

Your mission, if you should choose to accept it, is waiting for you!  Open your ears and your heart to the Lord, and be excited about your new future serving Him in truth and spirit!





No comments:

Post a Comment