Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Comfort vs. Comfortable


This morning I've been contemplating the idea of comfort vs. comfortable.  I've thought about it many times as my life has been pretty uncomfortable for many years.  I had this notion that if I was a "good" Christian, that God would make my life comfortable.  Over the past several of years, God has been reminding me that God is the God of all comfort.  He promised to comfort us, He didn't promise to make us comfortable.

I think most of us get that confused, especially in America.  Most of us, myself included, work from the belief that God works everything out for the comfort of those who are called according to His purpose.  But, that is not how the God of the Bible works.

I revisited a passage this morning that has helped me better understand why being comfortable isn't God's goal for us, “Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God." (2 Corinthians 1:3-4)

Two things strike me about this; "in all our troubles", and "so that we can comfort those in any trouble."  We can expect all sorts of troubles.  But, we can also expect Him to comfort us so that we can comfort others in their troubles.

The more I get to know Christ, the more I realize how much of this whole journey is not about me.  It's not about what I'm feeling, thinking, or going through at any particular moment.  It's about how Jesus is responding to me so that I can in turn respond to others in like manner.  It's really about how much I love God and love others much more than it is about me being comfortable.

I do not like all troubles, not at all.  I don't think God likes them either.  His heart breaks for us when our heart breaks.  But, being the God of all comfort gives Him a large advantage.  And being His beloved children means we are recipients of all the comfort we need.  All in all, it is a pretty good exchange!

What does the difference between being comforted and being comfortable look like in your life? Do you spend too much energy on creating comfort for yourself?  Is God asking you to take a step of faith that may leave you feeling uncomfortable?  What does this text say to you?

"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God. For just as we share abundantly in the sufferings of Christ, so also our comfort abounds through Christ. If we are distressed, it is for your comfort and salvation; if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which produces in you patient endurance of the same sufferings we suffer. And our hope for you is firm, because we know that just as you share in our sufferings, so also you share in our comfort." (2 Corinthians 1:3-7)



No comments:

Post a Comment